Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Fonkoze Santa Barbara

The Fonkoze group in Santa Barbara, headed by Maureen Earls, is doing an amazing job of raising funds for women in Haiti. I first learned about Fonkoze by reading an article written in the Santa Barbara Indpendent. The article is a great resource for learning more about the organization. The people of Fonkoze SB are some of the kindest I have met, and their hard work is truly making a difference.

Marty Jenkins is a part of Fonkoze SB and he is one of the most knowledgeable people I have met with regards to Microlending. He has spent the summer abroad visiting and working with Microfinance Institutions. His blog is also a great resource for learning more about MFIs.

For information on Fonkoze SB, or to get involved, contact:

Maureen Earls
mcearls@cox.net

For information on fonkoze visit their website:

www.fonkoze.org

1 comment:

Marty said...

Hi Chase: It is good to hear from you and see your new blog. I admire what you are doing and look forward to keeping up with your news from Haiti.

I have read much of the damage to Haiti from recent hurricanes and seen appeals from Alex Counts and others for support for these people. I feel for Anne and the many others who work so hard to help these people and then suffer such incredible setbacks at the hand of the weather. I look forward to your giving us a first hand report on what the impact has been.

I am now in Bangaldesh in my last week of an eight week trip. Thanks for posting my blog where those who might be interested can read about Microfinance and other things that are going on in India and Bangladesh.

Marty