Sunday, November 2, 2008

A Simple 3 Letter Solution


The city of Gonaives was hit hardest by the recent hurricanes that passed through Haiti just months ago. The disaster made news around the world when Aid Organizations were unable to reach the city. As a result many people died due to starvation and lack of medical attention.

Walking around town one can't help but be shaken by the ubiquitous pandemic of frustration, exhaustion and sadness that has swept throughout the city. People are living in makeshift tarp tents atop collapsed homes and standing in mile long lines to receive food from the UN dispensary program. The people of Gonaives truly lost everything, which sadly wasn't even much to begin with.

One evening I sat on the roof of where I was staying. As I watched a family dig a mattress out of the mud, I began thinking to myself:

What would I do if I lived here? In a lapse of pragmatism, I came to the conclusion that I would try to make something out of nothing. But the more I thought, the more I realized just how hard it is to do that, especially given the current degree of nothingness. Where would I start?

Cook the aid food and sell it on the street? That wouldn't work. No kitchen. No spices. No pots. Besides, I am too hungry. Rob the food dispensary? No, thats horrible. Forgive me Lord. Besides, its guarded by a dozen UN soldiers with really big guns. Sell something? No, I don't have anything to sell. No one has any money to spend. Learn to breakdance and perform in the street? No, I can't breakdance.

I paused for a moment, In between dreams of headspins and backflips I suddenly realized the obvious solution. It was right there all along.

Start Digging.

4 comments:

Kim Adam said...

Chase -- I love your blog, what you're doing, who you are and what you are revealing to the rest of us. Please post more often. I'm convinced you will educate and influence so many, with your observations and thoughts of the harsh realities of Haiti. I love you and stay safe. -- Mom

Trish said...

Starvation to Abundance. Defeats to Victories. Catastrophe to Triumph…
There is just as much gentleness in the world as there is violence.

Life can be simple because survival is the only dependent. Or life can be complicated because we all are interdependent. We are not indestructible as a single unit, and therefore need each other as a whole. Your efforts are no doubt a reminder to these poor people that there is gentleness in their world of violence. They don’t live lives anywhere close to in abundance, but I imagine they still live appreciatively and therefore victoriously. Maybe they’ve learned when catastrophe strikes triumphantly, it’s mandatory to see good of it and move on. Maybe they’ve learned what really matters. Maybe they’ve just learned to keep digging because something is bound to wind up better. The shittiest circumstances eventually have to get better, right?

Camaraderie and friendship, bravery and kick ass role models, and simple peace- in simple acts or instances- in absences- in serenity- hell just sitting in the ocean… those would be what I would look for. Those are what I dig for.

o4trix said...

The hands are a sort of feet, which serve us in our passage towards Heaven, curiously distinguished into joints and fingers, and fit to be applied to any thing which reason can imagine or desire.

I'm glad to see that your hands are fast at work for the good of others and yourself.

You are as prone to love, as the sun is to shine.

Espero verte en Costa Rica pronto mae!

BC Working Students said...

Hi Chase,

My name is Ingrid. I just watched your video on google. The one you made before you left Santa Barbara. You are truly an amazing person. We have so much in common. I have also inquired about a 2009 summer internship opportunity with the Director of Fonkoze, Haiti. I have been in contact with her. Anyways, I would love to get some advice form you if everything works out.
Email me at ingriddegand@yahoo.com if you have some time.
BTW; I love your blog.. Add me on Facebook if you like 'Ingrid Degand"